- With Y. Ma and D. Grewal, "The Club Store Effect: Impact of Shopping in Warehouse Club Stores on Consumers’ Packaged Food Purchases," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 55, No. 2, 193-207, 2018.
- With H. Datta and H. van Heerde, “How Well Does Consumer-Based Brand Equity Align with Sales-Based Brand Equity and Marketing Mix Response?” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 81, Issue 3, 1-20, 2017
- With P. Farris, “Managing Multi- and Omni-Channel Distribution: Metrics and Research Directions,” Journal of Retailing, Special Issue on Future of Retailing, Vol. 93, Issue 1, 120-135, 2017
- With J. Emond, D. Gilbert-Diamond, Y. Ma, and D. Grewal, “The Home Food Environment and a Young Child’s Weight Status,” The FASEB Journal, Vol. 29, No. 1, Supplement, 132.2, 2016
- With S. Gupta, edited by R. Winer and S. Neslin, "Sales Promotion”, in History of Marketing Science, 2014
- With K. Gedenk, T. Langer, Y. Ma, and S. Neslin, “Consumer Response to Uncertain Promotions: An Empirical Analysis of Conditional Rebates”, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 31, Issue 1, 94-106, 2014
- With S. Neslin, J. Luan, and G. Taylor, “Does Retailer CSR Enhance Behavioral Loyalty: A Case for Benefit Segmentation,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 31, Issue 2, 156-167, 2014
- With Y. Ma, and D. Grewal, “Soda Versus Cereal and Sugar Versus Fat: Drivers of Healthful Food Intake and the Impact of Diabetes Diagnosis,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 77, Issue 3 (May), 101-120, 2013
- "An Empirical Analysis of the Effect of Gasoline Prices on Consumer Shopping Behavior," Journal of Marketing, 2011
- "When Wal-Mart Enters: How Incumbent Retailers React and How This Affects Their Sales Outcomes," Journal of Marketing Research, 2010
- "Private Label Use and Store Loyalty," Journal of Marketing, 2008.
- "Decomposition of the Sales Impact of Promotion-Induced Stockpiling," Journal of Marketing Research, August 2007
- "Quantifying and Improving Promotion Profitability at CVS," Marketing Science, 2007
- "Retailer Promotion Profitability: The Role of Promotion, Brand, Category, and Market Characteristics," Journal of Marketing Research, 2006
- "Predicting Competitive Response to a Major Policy Change: Combining Game-Theoretic and Empirical Analysis," Marketing Science, 2005
- "An Empirical Analysis of Retail Margins: The Role of Store Brand Share," Journal of Marketing, 2004
- "Market Response to a Major Policy Change in the Marketing Mix: Learning from Procter & Gamble’s Value Pricing Strategy," Journal of Marketing, 2001
- “The Retail Power-Performance Conundrum: What Have We Learned?” Journal of Retailing, Vol. 77, No. 3, 299-318, lead article, 2001
- In top ten most downloaded articles from Journal of Retailing, Science Direct, 2004
- With S. Neslin, and K. Gedenk, “Pursuing the Value Conscious Consumer: Store Brands Versus National Brand Promotions," Journal of Marketing Vol. 65, No. 1 (January), 71-89, 2001
- With K. Gedenk, and S. Neslin, “Heterogeneity and Purchase Event Feedback in Choice Models: An Empirical Analysis with Implications for Model Building”, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 16, 177-198, lead article, 1999
- With P. Farris, and E. Shames, “Trade Promotion: Essential to Selling Through Resellers”, Sloan Management Review, Vol. 41, No. 1 (Fall), 83-92, 1999
- With P. Farris, and M. Parry, "Market Share and ROI: Observing the Effect of Unobserved Variables", International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 16, 17-33, 1999
- Earlier version also published by the Marketing Science Institute, Report No. 93-117
- With S. Neslin, "The Effect of Promotion on Consumption: Buying More and Using it Faster", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 35, 390-398, 1998
- Finalist for 2003 William F. O’Dell Award for the most significant long-term contribution to marketing theory, methodology, and/or practice
- With P. Farris and M. Parry, “Explaining Variations in Advertising & Promotion/Sales Ratios: A Rejoinder”, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 61 (1), 93-96, 1997
- With N. Borin and P. Farris, "Market Power and Performance: A Cross-Industry Analysis of Manufacturers and Retailers", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 71 (3), 211-248, lead article, 1995
- Winner of first William Davidson Award for the best contribution to theory and practice in retail marketing, awarded by Journal of Retailing, 1997
- With P. Farris and M. Parry, "Share and Growth are not Good Predictors of the A/S Ratio", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 58 (1), 86-97, 1994
- Also published by the Marketing Science Institute, Report Number 93-105
- With P. Farris and M. Parry, "Structural Analysis of Models with Composite Dependent Variables", Marketing Science, Winter, 73-94, 1992
- With P. Farris, "Retail Power: Monster or Mouse?" Journal of Retailing, Vol. 68 (4), 351-369, 1992
- Featured in Stores, October, 1993
- Also published by invitation by Marketing Science Institute, Report Number 92-129
Articles in Business Press
- With P. Farris, “Retailers, Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Skimp on Promotions,” CMO Network, Forbes.com, November 7, 2013
- With P. Farris, “How Companies Can Get Smart About Raising Prices”, Wall Street Journal, Monday, July 22, Page R1, 2013
- “Why JC Penney Failed Under Ron Johnson,” US World & News Report.com, April 12, 2013
- With J. Luan, “Does Corporate Social Responsibility Build Consumer Loyalty?” in CMO Strategy, Advertising Age, May 24, 2011
- “Three Not-So-Easy Ways to Become an Admired Marketer, Economic Times, December 9, 2009
- With S. Neslin, “Dodging the Risks of Major Marketing Change,” in CMO Strategy, Advertising Age, February 12, 2007
- “Expert Commentary on Sales Promotion: A Pain in the Supply Chain” Harvard Business Review, Vol. 80, Issue 5 (May), 31-44, 2002
Quoted by Grocery Management Association in “Words Worth Repeating”
- With L. Guissoni, P. Farris, and M. Boccia, “The Multichannel Challenge at Natura in Beauty and Personal Care,” Darden Business Publishing Case # UVA-M-0943, 2017.
- V. Weiler, P. Farris, and G. Yemen, “Uber Pricing Strategies and Marketing Communications,” Darden Business Publishing Case # UV6878, 2014.
- “Colgate Wave: Using Conjoint Analysis For Pricing”, in Optimization Modeling with Spreadsheets, by Kenneth Baker, Duxbury Press, 2006
- Case Analysis, ITC’s e-Choupal: Taking e-Business to Farmers,” Case Folio, July, ICFAI Center for Management Research, Hyderabad, India, 2003
- With P. Farris, Carnation Infant Formula (A), in Cases in Advertising and Promotion Management, Fourth edition, by John Quelch and Paul Farris, Irwin publishers, 1994
With P. Farris, Getting Multi-Channel Distribution Right, John Wiley & Sons publishers, May 2020.
- With Y. Ma, M. Martos-Partal, and O. Gonzalez-Benito, “Private Label Supply by National Brand Manufacturers: Received Wisdom and Empirical Reality,” 2020.
- With M. Vuegen, A. ter Braak, and L. Lamey, “How Mobile Self-Scanning Use Influences Consumers’ Grocery Purchases,” Marketing Science Institute Working Paper Series, No. 19-xxx, 2017.
- With S. Van der Maelen, E. Breugelsmans, K. Cleeren, and S. Neslin, “Who Stays and Who Goes? Testing the Boundaries of Loyalty”, 2017.
- With R. Dant and D. Grewal, “The Difference Between Perceptual and Objective Performance Measures: An Empirical Analysis,” Marketing Science Institute Working Paper Series, No. 04-001, 2004.
- With K. Gedenk and S. Neslin, “Understanding Competition Between Retailers and Manufacturers: An Integrated Analysis of Store Brand and National Brand Deal Usage,” SSRN Working Paper, read abstract, 2003